» The Best Washtenaw County Summer Destinations: Here’s Your Starter List!
June 14, 2016
Summer is here, and it’s the perfect time to get outside to enjoy your RV, boat or other personal watercraft – Jet Ski, Sea-Doo, canoe or kayak – while spending time with family and friends. The good news is you don’t have to go far to have a fun summer adventure. There are literally dozens of great places to go locally including visiting many of southeast Michigan’s most popular parks, campgrounds, parades, festivals, and firework displays. Check out our list below of the best Washtenaw County Summer destinations to make the most of them.
Places to enjoy boating and personal watercraft in the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area:
- The Huron River Chain of Lakes is located in northern Washtenaw County and consists of the following lakes: Big Portage, Little Portage, Base Line, Zukey, Strawberry, Whitewood and Gallagher (which allow normal watercraft) and two lakes, Ore and Tamarack, which only accommodate small watercraft.
- Ford Lake Park in Ypsilanti, MI features a half-mile shoreline on Ford Lake perfect for fishing and boating.
- Independence Lake Park has boating (no boats with motors more than 10 horsepower allowed), and you can rent canoes and paddleboats, too. Also, there are campgrounds, playgrounds, a splash park and swimming.
Family-friendly parks and campgrounds in Washtenaw County:
- Gallup Park, on the east side of Ann Arbor, has canoes, paddle boats, kayaking, playgrounds, and walking and biking trails.
- Rolling Hills Park and Water Park located in Ypsilanti has beautiful parks, playgrounds and a full water park to help young and old alike cool off on hot days.
- Brighton Recreation Area
The best firework displays in Washtenaw County:
- Hudson Mills Metropark Fireworks Date: June 29th at 10:00 pm Where: Hudson Mills Metropark, 8801 North Territorial Road, Dexter, MI
- Manchester Fireworks Display Date: July 3, 2016, at Dusk Where: Carr Park, 600 W. Main St., in Manchester, Micigan 48158
Local Washtenaw County parades and festivals:
- 84th Annual Ypsilanti Independence Parade – July 4 at 11 a.m. in Depot Town, Ypsilanti, MI. This parade is sponsored by the American Legion and assisted by the Ypsilanti Area Jaycees.
- Saline Celtic Festival, July 11 – 13, Millpond Park, Saline, MI. A well-attended festival including Celtic music and dance entertainment, workshops, sporting events, food, craft vendors, a fencing tournament and more!
- Ann Arbor Art Fair July 17 – 20, The Ann Arbor Street Art Fair is held each year in downtown Ann Arbor, MI with almost 200 artists participating. There are also hands-on activities and musical performances.
- Ypsilanti Heritage Festival, August 16 – 18, Riverside Park, Ypsilanti, MI. This festival celebrates the historical significance of Ypsilanti and includes family activities as well.
This list of the best summer destinations in Washtenaw County is by no means an exhaustive one, but it’s a good start to help you explore everything the local area has to offer.
If your summer plans do include boating, using personal watercraft or enjoying a campground with your RV, we encourage you to contact us now to do a quick check of your insurance to ensure that you are adequately protected against the risk of damage, losses or accidents which may occur. Once that is taken care of, you’ll be ready to enjoy your summer adventures!
Adrian: 517.265.7000 | Ann Arbor: 734.971.1000 | Cassopolis: 269.445.2425
About the Author
Nicole Pearson, of Tecumseh, is a Customer Service Representative for Kemner Iott Benz. Nicole enjoys a good read, photography, being outdoors, and an occasional fishing trip with her husband, Trevor.
Join the conversation! Connect with Kemner Iott Benz on social media for more insurance tips and tricks!
This entry was posted in Recreational Vehicle Insurance, Washtenaw County. Bookmark the permalink.